About Me

My photo
I'm a simple man, not a simpleton. The worst thing any of our leaders can do is to get those two things confused. I'm a warrior for those things I believe in. I stand up for my friends, family, God, and country. All I truly want is for the government to stay as far out of my life as I can get it. Oh and just in case you haven't guessed it; I'm conservative in my bones.

Search

Custom Search

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Does This Sound Familiar?

On another blog there was a post by Abraham Lincoln and a question as to what we thought he meant. It gave me an idea for this one. Here's a quote from our nation's birth. Do you readers think that anything he says goes for today the way it did while the colonies were under British rule?

Patrick Henry - 03/23/1775"Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death"

"Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne! In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free-- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us!..."It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace [Jer. 6:14]. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle [Matt. 20:6]? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Good words. We have certainly come a long way from those days.

Greywolfe said...

Yes we have come a long way, chuck. Saddens me to say it, but the blood that runs through our veins is a lot thinner than it once was.

With Obama's coronation last month the part that says, "we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne!" Seemed very apt.

WomanHonorThyself said...

with Hussein at the helm ..patriotism has died my friend...........

Greywolfe said...

WomanHonorThyself, I really don't think it's (patriotism) dead... I really do believe that there is a large amount of patriotic feelings in America I just don't think that patriotism is such a priority for Americans that they would make such bold statements like this one, and fight to recapture our nation.

Web Site Hit Counter
discount climbing gear