About Me

My photo
I'm a simple man, not a simpleton. The worst thing any of our leaders can do is to get those two things confused. I'm a warrior for those things I believe in. I stand up for my friends, family, God, and country. All I truly want is for the government to stay as far out of my life as I can get it. Oh and just in case you haven't guessed it; I'm conservative in my bones.

Search

Custom Search

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 relived

Every year I watch or listen to some account of the 9/11 attacks. Every year I am brought to my knees with grief and loss. Each year I relive where I was and what I was doing. For seven years now I have continued to watch, continued to commemorate the brave people that died in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C.. I will continue to do so for as long as our men and women fight against the religious radicals that continue to perpetrate their evil and hateful attacks on peoples around the world that reject their form of religion.
Currently I'm watching the History Channel's revisiting of the 9/11 attacks in New York and their description of how and why the Twin Towers and World Trade 7 fell. Again I feel those days creeping back up in my mind. Again I remember the phone call from my wife telling me that we have been attacked. I remember my disbelief and shock as I turned on the news at my Mother-in-law's house and watched as the building's burned and fell. I remember hearing that a plane had hit the Pentagon and I kept thinking, "HOW!?!?" I remember hearing, later, that a plane had been taken down by passengers in a Pennsylvania field. All I felt was shock that first day. I just couldn't bring myself to believe that it had actually happened. I didn't sleep that night at all. The next day, was when the rage set in. I called my wife at work and told her that I was planning on going back into the Army. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on whether you talk to me or my family, they rejected me because prior service people are held to higher physical requirements than are new recruits. I was full of rage at the people that I couldn't fight. These people that dared to attack my people. Innocent people that were just trying to live their lives. It was two more days before I finally went to sleep. It was over two months before I got over the depression that followed the rage. Apparently, I don't do helpless well.
Well, here we are, seven years later, and I still don't handle this day well. There are those in the media that would have the videos of that day locked away never to be viewed. Personally, I feel that we should see it at least once a month. It should be forced home that just as we had to fight for freedom in the past, we must do so again. And we must not blink in the face of absolute evil. That is one lesson I hope that this country has learned. Learn it, and then live it. And whatever you do, don't forget the ones that died in those buildings, on the planes or in DC. And don't forget why they died.

0 comments:

Web Site Hit Counter
discount climbing gear